Marino Engineering Associates, Inc. specializes in geotechnical and civil engineering research, training, forensic investigations and design in geotechnical and pavement engineering. Founded in 1980, by Dr. Gennaro G. Marino, P.E., D.GE, F. ASCE, the company became Marino Engineering Associates, Inc. (MEA) in 1997. Our highly qualified scientific and technical staff work together seamlessly to produce superior, on-time results for each client regardless of the project size. MEA's focus is to provide the highest standard of service and response to complex, challenging and unique projects.
DR. GENNARO G. MARINO, P.E., D.GE., F. ASCE, PRESIDENT
Gennaro G. Marino, Ph.D., P.E., D.GE, F. ASCE is the president and principal engineer of MEA. He has been practicing geotechnical engineering since 1973, starting as a staff engineer, graduating to a project engineer, founded MEA, and now is one of the nation’s top expert consultants on more difficult geotechnical-related engineering projects. In addition, Dr. Marino has given expert testimony on numerous occasions within his range of engineering experience. As an educator, Dr. Marino has written and delivered technical training programs. Also during the course of his career he has authored over 100 articles and research publications on advanced engineering projects and authored a textbook: Earthquake Damage: Inspection, Evaluation, and Repair.
See Awards and Honors for more information about Dr. Marino.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Dr. Marino currently holds Professional Engineering Licenses in 29 states in addition to national accreditation. He is a long-standing member of the Society of Mining Engineers (SME), the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), and the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- In July 2021, ASCE Fellow was awarded to Dr. Marino for his significant accomplishments and professional distinction in the industry, and has been recognized by his peers and ASCE's panel of expert reviewers. Only the elite top four percent of ASCE's professional memberships have received this award.
- In 2015, Dr. Marino received a Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Association Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Illinois.
- The Academy of Geo-Professionals (AGP) of ASCE recognized Dr. Marino in 2013 as a Diplomate Geotechnical Engineering (D.GE) for his superior expertise and experience, strong ethics, commitment to life-long learning, and continued professional development in the field of Geotechnical Engineering.
- In 2011, Dr. Marino was recognized by the Central Illinois Section of the ASCE as Civil Engineer of the Year. The award was given “in recognition of excellent performance that has demonstrated leadership in civil engineering, high character and professional integrity, and dedicated service to the community”.
- Marino Engineering Associates, Inc. was chosen as the 1st runner-up for the Central Illinois ASCE Civil Engineering Project of the Year for 2010.
- For many years Dr. Marino was the Chairman of the Geotechnical Engineering Division of the American Society of Mining for Reclamation (ASMR). The ASME Geotechnical Division addresses the geotechnical topics related to disturbed mine lands.
- Dr. Marino is also a member of the ASTM Soil and Rock Committee.
- In addition, Dr. Marino is an Associate Member of the American Bar Association (ABA) and Chairman of the ABA Expert Witness, Civil Engineering Sub-Committee.
Over the past 43 years, Dr. Marino has performed and supervised subsurface investigations as well as field and laboratory testing on soils and rocks as a practicing engineer and researcher. As a geotechnical and forensic engineer, Dr. Marino has worked on a variety of engineering projects involving earthwork including site development, foundation investigations, slope stability, retaining wall systems, soil stabilization, foundation repair, performance of pavements and subgrade conditions, and soil compaction and its associated properties.
Project focus also includes: seepage and impoundment failures, subsidence/settlement damage, ground movement, soil-structure interaction, as well as other soil mechanics and foundation problems. Forensic and engineering projects in rock include: stability and support of underground workings in salt, coal, and hard rock; grouting; rock excavation behavior and difficulty; subsidence engineering; and seepage in rock.
DR. ABDOLREZA OSOULI, PH.D., P.E.(MO), EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Abdolreza (Reza) Osouli, Ph.D., P.E. (MO) is the executive director of MEA. Dr. Osouli has worked with MEA since 2008 when he graduated from the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign with a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, and has personally worked with Dr. Marino for going on 15 years. Dr. Osouli has been a staff engineer, geotechnical engineer, project engineer, and senior geotechnical engineering consultant over the course of his career. Dr. Osouli has been active in research and has published over 70 peer-reviewed journals and conference papers related to deep excavations, pier group foundations, geotechnical numerical analyses, geo-construction, slope stability, subsidence engineering, mine stability, rock mechanics, surface erosion levees, scours in riverbeds, base and subbase aggregate quality control for pavements, seismic performance of retaining walls, and liquefaction. Dr. Osouli has also co-authored over 20 technical reports for various projects related to subsidence engineering and forensic engineering. Dr. Osouli has supervised engineers and technicians in conducting subsurface investigations involving field and laboratory testing on soils and rocks, grouting operation of underground mine voids, seepage and stability of levees and slopes, and design and analyses of underground coal mines as a practicing engineer and researcher. Dr. Osouli has been a member of ASCE G-I Embankments, Dams and Slopes committee, and Geotechnics of Soil Erosion for several years.